Sunday, June 30, 2013

World War Z

I have seen many zombie movies in my time, yes I am talking like I am old and have had a long life of zombie watching. But now-a-days, zombies are very big in the entertainment industry, along with vampires and other monsters. It seems like there is always something going on with zombies somewhere. All these movies that are about the undead always have different ways of portraying them, whether it is a scary, gruesome thriller like "Dawn of the Dead," or a comedic love story with still the regular attributes of a zombie, like "Warm Bodies." World War Z is one of the best movies about the undead I have ever seen. I loved everything about it, from the cast to every piece of the storyline. They cause stress and fright while watching them, but movies that make you involved and make you wonder what life would be like if something like what the movie is showing was going on in real life are very entertaining to watch, for me anyway.
So, I didn't know anything about this story when I saw the first trailer for it, or even when I actually went to the movie. It is originally a novel by Max Brooks. I don't know how well the movie matched the book or anything, but I guess that's okay because I am not reviewing a book am I?
So back to the movie, in my opinion, this film has portrayed zombies in the best way possible. Yes, all movies about zombies do a pretty good job, and do a lot of the same things- walking slowly kind of hunched over, limping, moaning, and when they catch a scent or a glimpse of someone who is not dead, they snap and do whatever they can to catch that person and....eat them. It is always the same, but World War Z puts a little more into it. When we first see a zombie attack, Brad Pitt, who is the main character, watches as the poor man changes into one himself. Pitt counts 12 seconds from the time being bitten to becoming one of the undead. I have never seen it happen that fast, and I think that is good, the disease is something that seems to be taking over the world and it is very serious and seems to be happening very fast, so I think the change from human to zombie should be farely quick. Another thing is- in other movies, we don't get to see a lot of when zombie attacks first start happening. When the movie starts, we are put right into the middle of the zombie apocalypse. World War Z, like all the rest, doesn't show a place of origin or when things started happening, but it does show zombies attacking what looks like a brand new area for them, and we see huge swarms of them running through the cities and attacking as they go, and it looks they just do that and movie across the globe, which I thought was creepy and cool to see.
I don't want to talk to much about it, but one last thing, which you can get from just watching the trailer. These zombies are being shown climbing each other, making towers with their bodies, and reaching humans no matter where they are. There is a giant wall that you would think nobody could ever reach over, but these zombies get so determined that they are running up each other and scaling hundreds of feet in the air. And when there are thousands of them, it just keeps going and there really isn't any stopping them.
The zombies make creepy noises that we haven't really ever heard, and the movie shows different kinds of dangers of being in a world where there are millions of dead people walking around trying to eat you.
Definitely worth a watch, or maybe see it twice. I'm ready to see it twice, I enjoyed every minute of it. The story was absolutely perfect, very well written. Everything clicked and nothing was left out. Brad Pitt did fantastic and deserves to be recognized for this film, and he is.

1 comment:

Angie said...

Now I can't wait to see this one. I have only heard good things about this one. I loved this review, you made me laugh and without giving anything away, you are able to let me know that I would like to see this. That is what Grandpa says makes a good review, like it or not, you can let others know if they want to see it or not.

Post a Comment