Monday, August 20, 2012

Expendables 2

Last Friday, I saw Expendables 2. I was very pleased with this movie. I never saw the first one in the theater, but I saw it on Netflix and decided to give it a try. It was okay, the second movie is far better in my opinion.

As we all know, Expendables is a movie that brings all the action heroes into one film, and shows us what they all do and what they are all known for. You have Sylvester Stallone, Jason Statham, Jet Li, Dolph Lundgreen, Bruce Willis, Terry Crews, and Randy Couture. The first movie also had Micky Rourke, but he is not in the second movie. They also Arnold Schwarzenegger, Jean-Claude Van Damme, Liam Hemsworth,, and Chuck Norris in this second one. Arnold made an appearance in the first movie, but was not really a main character. He has a bigger role in this second movie. So all these actors in one movie, sounds too good to be true. And this movie definitely delivered. 

What I loved about this movie was there was barely any swearing at all, no nudity or sexual behavior at all, and was just full of action. Pretty bloody and violent, but totally awesome. The action was way better than first movie. A lot of the fight scenes and action scenes were shaky-cam, and it was a little ridiculous to watch. You have Jet Li and Jason Statham, fantastic fighters, and you look forward to seeing them in action, but you barely get to see anything. The camera was just all over the place. In this movie, everything is much more visible and looks very awesome. I was very happy to see this. The fighting was just so cool in every scene. You have these huge guys, and I never realized how huge Terry Crews is until I saw this movie, but they just go through and beat the crap out of everybody they come across. 

Another great thing about the movie is a lot of these actors have movies they are well known for, and certain lines they use from the movies. Like when you think of something for Schwarzenegger, there is Terminator. Almost every time you see him, he uses a Terminator line. Multiple times he says "I'll be back," or just "I'm back." In one scene, Arnold and Bruce Willis are next to each other shooting, and Arnold runs out of ammunition, and says "I'm out. I'll Be Back." Bruce Willis just grabs him and says "You've been back enough. I'll be back." And gives him his gun. And as Willis is walking away, Arnold says "Yippi-Kay-Ay" from the Die Hard movies with Bruce Willis. It was pretty funny all around. 

The way they introduced all the characters was very cool. The movie starts out with the original Expendables team just storming this base and just killing everybody and blowing stuff up. In a scene, the team is outnumbered on a small street, and out of nowhere, a gun starts firing and everybody is dead, and then a tank gets blown up, and nobody knows where it came from. Then the smoke clears, and walking down the street, is Chuck Norris. We all know about all the Chuck Norris jokes. They threw one in the movie for kicks. Norris is talking to Stallone and Stallone says "We've heard a lot of things about you. I heard you were bitten by a cobra." And Norris just looks at him and says "Yes. I was. And after 5 days of agonizing pain, the cobra died." So they keep it very humorous. 
Van Damme is the villain of the movie, and his name is Vilain. What a coincidence. But he shows off his fighting that he is known for in almost all of his movies, which is fun to watch. 

So in my opinion, the movie is awesome. I am really wanting to see it again. By far, better than the first one. This one was directed by Simon West, and the first one was directed by Sylvester Stallone. So they both had different ways of doing it. But this one is a must see. 

1 comment:

Angie said...

Sorry, after you mention Chuck Norris you wrote through instead of throw. If you are not looking for this kind of criticism and only want it on the content, let me know and I won't bug you with those:) I saw the first "Expendables" but didn't love it and so I wasn't going to see this one, but after reading this, I think I will give it a try.

Post a Comment